Monday, May 4, 2020

Masks

Looking towards Avoca this morning
I'm not keen on wearing a mask, especially when running.  I take comfort in the Australian government's rationale that masks have questionable value for the general public unless they are COVID-19 carriers.  That is, they may have value in reducing infected droplets being exhaled by sufferers, but have limited value in preventing the inhalation of infected droplets.  And, since most infections seem to be transmitted by people touching infected surfaces and then their faces, wearing masks won't make much difference.  This rationale supports my predisposition not to use a mask although I could perhaps be accused of opinion-shopping.

The Haven this morning
I have read with concern that in the US and Europe the wearing of masks is becoming compulsory both outdoors and indoors.  Political leaders are shaming people who don't comply and there are reports of runners being abused for not wearing masks.

It would be a sad day if Australia, which has done very well in containing the spread of COVID-19 without widespread mask use, succumbs to pressure to follow overseas practices.  I don't think the Australian public would tolerate the compulsory wearing of masks when exercising anyway, but if it became a big deal, I think I would just exercise maskless at unsociably early hours or remoter locations and take my chances.

Surfers this morning at Terrigal
It may not become an issue for me for other reasons, anyway.  As I walked for exercise this morning, with my hip quite painful, I pondered how sensible it was to continue trying to run, and that perhaps I would be better to give the hip total rest for two or three weeks.  The argument in favour of rest is that although it might mean six weeks to get back to my current level of fitness, that still gives me enough time to train for my proposed marathon on 22 August.  The arguments against rest are that slow short running can maintain fitness while an injury recovers, and I don't want to lose what limited fitness I have (and gain more weight).  I may run tomorrow morning and then decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment