Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Changing emphasis

Terrigal Lagoon in the drizzle this morning (courtesy of Julie)
There has been a change of emphasis by the Australian government in the last couple of weeks with getting people back to work and children back to school becoming the priority as it becomes clearer that the country has the spread of COVID-19 suppressed, though not eliminated.

Looking across to Terrigal Haven (courtesy of Julie)
Outbreaks centred around a hospital in north-west Tasmania, a nursing home in western Sydney, and an abattoir in Melbourne, all seem to have been successfully contained.  I think this will be the pattern going forward in Australia as things open up in an environment where the testing and tracking capabilities will be continually improving.

My own emphasis is also changing.  After pondering all of yesterday about whether it was wise to take a break from running and walking until I could no longer feel my hip injury, I decided that is what I should do.

Looking towards Wamberal this morning (courtesy of Julie)
The decision process was aided by news reports that indicated Australia's internal border restrictions might soon be lifted.  If that happens, then Julie and I plan to begin our six-month bike circumnavigation of Australia along trails and back roads sometime in June.  And before that happens, I would prefer to be injury free, even if not very fit.  I always figured that we would be getting cycling fit during the first couple of weeks of cycling, anyway.

Such a trip would supersede my plan for a 50th anniversary marathon on 22 August this year, but maybe not rule it out.  I would still like to do it, but it would be slow, and probably along some outback road in far north Queensland.

No comments:

Post a Comment