Sunday, May 3, 2020

Virtual challenges

Julie has been participating in the 42 km in 42 hours running challenge this weekend.  Not really much of a challenge for someone who completed a 350 km trail race in 86 hours back in February, but it is one of many challenges floating around on the internet with the goal of getting people to run and stay connected during the pandemic.

Afternoon walk in Wyrrabalong National Park
There was strong local participation in this global event, with one member of our running club organising customised race bibs for participants to wear while running and commemorative medals and T-shirts were available to order online.  While out running yesterday as part of the challenge, Julie encountered other runners out wearing their bibs and even had someone out walking enquire about what event it was, having seen a number of the distinctive bibs out on the road.

Tuggerah Lake from Wyrrabalong National Park
Other challenges are upcoming and I have no doubt they will be eagerly accepted by runners looking to replace the motivation usually provided by running events and post-race analysis.  Who knows, this innovation may be another that survives the return to normality.

Trail in Wyrrabalong National Park
Sadly, I didn't find the 42 km in 42 hours challenge attractive or practical.  I believe I could have done it if I really wanted to, but the downside risks of exacerbating existing injuries outweighed any potential satisfaction I was likely to obtain.  And to be honest, for most of the runners I know who participated, running 42 km in 42 hours was not much of a physical challenge anyway.  They would frequently run that far in a weekend, or on one run.  So, I guess it was the social engagement and sense of community surrounding the challenge that was the main attraction.

I ended up running just 6 km this morning (making a sad total of 16 km in 42 hours!!).  It was a morning when I struggled to get out of bed, despite knowing conditions were ideal for a run -- cool and sunny.  I lay in bed, semi-convinced that I could still feel some of Friday's flu vaccination side-effects and knowing my hip injury would likely spoil any enjoyment I would get from running.  Finally, I convinced myself that there was no reason why I couldn't get around the usual short 6 km, and that I would feel much better having raised a sweat and my heart rate, even if only for a short time.  And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment