Thursday, April 23, 2020

Ups and downs

Photo from Julie's morning run
Well, I was feeling very positive about life around 9:00am last Saturday morning.

I had earlier finished my best run for a while, and was anticipating, as I had been encouraged to believe, that a major policy decision about how my running club operates during the pandemic would be changed at a meeting later that morning.

Photo from Julie's morning run
Alas, five days later, my mood is much less sanguine.  Something is going on in my right hip, and I limped around just 6km this morning, uncomfortable and in some pain.  I'm hoping that it is a pinched nerve, but fear it may be something more fundamental (two of my younger brothers have hip replacements, though they have an underlying genetic medical condition I escaped).

Photo from Julie's morning run
So far as the running club goes, the disliked policy remains unchanged, and I fear, along with some good friends, that if pandemic social-distancing restrictions continue through the end of the year, the club will suffer growing membership and financial problems.  It's affecting my mood to some degree (and the mood of others more seriously).  I tell myself that it is just a running club, and that I shouldn't care about it so much, but I have invested a lot of time in its well-being over the years, and it's hard to see its future risked.

Oh well, many people have far bigger problems than me in the current climate, and I know that.  Running injuries and recreational club management are definitely first-world issues, and I have good health and am financially secure, so need to keep things in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment