Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Potential


All over the world, social-distancing restrictions vary significantly between jurisdictions.  Even between Australia states there can be almost inexplicable differences, as I wrote in my Common Sense vs Simple Rules post.

One of those differences relates to golf.  In New South Wales we are allowed to play golf, so long as we play in pairs, have one person per cart (if using one), don't remove pins from holes and keep 1.5 metres apart.  In Victoria, you are not allowed to play golf.

I'm not much of a golfer, but do play nine holes occasionally with some runner friends, usually at The Springs, a beautiful course about 40 minutes drive from home.  We are pretty much as good (or as bad) as each other, so all have a chance of winning on any particular day.

We played today, and apart from the attractions of golf, it was a glorious morning, the course was green, surrounded by bush with expansive views across the Somersby plateau, and we had it largely to ourselves.  We had to play as pairs, instead of as a foursome, and I didn't win, but started and finished with a par (with a lot of rubbish in between).  Those two good holes are enough to make me think that I can do better and I'll be back. 

I believe that, just as those good holes define my golf potential, my best running days define my running potential.  I tried to remember that as I limped around a very slow 6km in the dark very early this morning.  Recent runs, yesterday and Saturday, had me thinking that I was perhaps on the way to realising that potential, but my right hip was sore today and it was hard not to be pessimistic about my running comeback.  Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment