Thursday, April 16, 2020

Privacy

Sunrise at Terrigal this morning
The government is planning to introduce a COVID-19 smartphone app that it will encourage Australians to download.  The app will make it easier for contacts to be traced in the event that a user contracts COVID-19, and necessarily keeps data on an individual's movements.  Already, concerns are being expressed about privacy, with some people saying that they will not participate.  There will need to be widespread take-up of the app for the information to be meaningful, so I hope not too many people refuse to participate.  If that happens, then it seems logical that social-distancing restrictions will be in place longer.

Avoca Lagoon this morning
Personally, I don't have a problem with my movements being tracked, especially if it is for the greater good.  I don't actually care if people know where I go or who I interact with, and find the idea that there is someone sitting in a room somewhere tracking who I meet, what I buy, etc., somewhat ridiculous.

Having said that, I do understand that in less democratic countries, there is a real risk that the data collected could be used for more sinister purposes, although such data collection is probably already occurring through more nefarious means.  I am lucky to live in Australia.

Looking across Avoca Lagoon this morning
I rarely carry a smartphone when running, so any contacts I have with COVID-19 carriers while training will not be revealed by the government's new app.  However, given that I'm now trying to remember to carry my small hardshell camera for blog pictures while running, maybe I should bite the bullet and start carrying my smartphone.

I ran a slow 11.3km this morning incorporating two solid hills and a long stretch of beach, all of which conspired to make it even slower.  The back and hip are still very troublesome, but I can sense that I'm coping better with the slightly longer distances.  Unless the injuries regress, I'll continue to gradually increase my mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment