Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Hard decisions

Avoca Lagoon
Although yesterday's three-month scans yielded good results for my son, who has endured six months of chemotherapy, his oncologist was somewhat reluctant to extend the chemo for an additional three months because of the increased risks to his health posed by COVID-19.

Ultimately, agreement was reached to continue the treatment, but he is, and we are, concerned to minimise the risks that he encounters a COVID-19 carrier during this time.  Consequently, I am facing the same dilemma as many others at this time.

Avoca Lagoon looking towards North Avoca
My son doesn't need care, as such, but I do think my weekly trips down to Sydney for a walk, movie and Mexican lunch, have been good for his mental health, and for mine.  However, given that Julie and I are exposed to a different cohort of people, even though observing government restrictions, it does seem sensible that I suspend my trips south until the chemo has finished in July.  Instead, like others, we will resort to phone and video calls to stay in touch.  Not as good, but in the scheme of things, not a big deal.

Looking towards Avoca Beach and Copacabana
I dragged myself around 9.6km this morning, running slowly and awkwardly, with the same sore back and hips.  My misery was compounded by being passed, twice, at speed by fellow Terrigal Trotter, Tony, with whom a year or two ago I would have been competitive.  Without seeking to denigrate Tony's fitness in any way, what is my world coming to?  Nevertheless, looking for the silver lining, my mileage is continuing to build, and that goes some way to offsetting the hour of daily misery.  I didn't take any photos, but have borrowed a few from those Julie took on her run this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment