Friday, April 17, 2020

This is the day

Avoca Beach this morning
Today is the day on which Julie and I were to begin our 5000km hike along the Continental Divide Trail (CDT), and also the first anniversary of the start of our 680km hike along the Australian Alps Walking Track last year.  One reason for the latter hike was to give Julie some experience of wilderness and remote hiking, and to test our compatibility under such circumstances, in preparation for the CDT this year.  It went well and we were excited for this year's adventure.

As I reminded Julie during our 9km walk along the coast south from Avoca Beach this morning, we really should have been hiking through the New Mexico desert north from the Mexican border.  It was very warm in places today, but it would have been a lot hotter in the desert, especially with 20kg packs and unpracticed legs.  Nevertheless, I know where we would much rather be, and it makes me sad to think about what might have been.

Given the gloomier predictions about when international air travel will be viable again, it may be 2022 before we can reach the CDT start line in New Mexico ...... by which time I will be 71!  Gnawing at the back of my mind is the thought that I might not be physically up to it.  If we had indeed started today, I would have been making heavy weather of it, given my current state of fitness and back/hip problems.  But, for some reason, perhaps not based in reality, I would have believed that if I just persevered, my body would have responded and the trip would have been feasible.  I hope I can muster the same self-belief in two years time.

I managed my 6.3km circumnavigation of Terrigal Lagoon this morning feeling a little easier than of late, but still struggling with the stiff back and consequent clunky running form.  I can tell that my base fitness is beginning to improve, because my mind is entertaining thoughts of longer runs again, but I need this back/hip problem to get better.  Our walk later in the morning, which involved some coastal bouldering, reminded me how much flexibility and confidence I am lacking at present, but I still believe it can come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment