Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Treats

Part of my retirement routine has been to journey to the local mall one morning per week (but occasionally two), do my weekly shopping, have a choc chip muffin and milkshake from the Muffin Break in the foodcourt (while reading the news on my tablet), and maybe go see a movie at the Senior's discounted rate.  The Muffin Break staff know me so well that often my order is waiting for me by the time I reach the till!  Not a bad life really.

I always feel better about the treats if I have had a hard morning run, but not surprisingly, haven't managed to scale back the treats when injured and running little.  I do feel guilty about that, and my waistline shows it, but I also believe you shouldn't beat yourself up for straying from the straight and narrow when dealing with injury or other difficult circumstances.  Hopefully, when the injury recovers, the waistline and guilt will both diminish.

No trouble finding a parking spot at the mall
I plodded the usual 6km around Terrigal Lagoon this morning, feeling marginally better and running marginally faster, but still far short of the effort needed to justify a muffin and milkshake.  Neverthess, I later journeyed to the mall, which was the quietest I have ever seen it in sixteen years of visiting.  With the foodcourt seating gone and patronage minimal, the Muffin Break looked forlorn.  Closer examination revealed a small and sorry collection of muffins, but I still got my choc chip, as well as a milkshake to go.  Then it was off home to dine.  I felt very sorry for the proprietor and hope he's going to manage to stay afloat until life returns to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment