Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Low base

It's a year since I have been even moderately fit, and in that year I have lurched from one injury to another - right knee > right foot plantar fasciitis > left heel > left calf > right hip - punctuated with occasional false starts and probably betraying my age (69) and an unwillingness to acknowledge it athletically.

Walking the leafy streets of Naremburn
On a fitness scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being as fit as I think I could get at my age, I'm currently about a 2 and have not exceeded 5 for the last twelve months.  I still believe, that with some luck and careful management, I could get to that 10 over the next four months and be able to run a marathon in a reasonable time.  But at other times, I just despair of ever being able to run well and enjoy my running again.

Since I was driving into Sydney to visit my son, Aaron, today, I didn't bother running beforehand because I knew we would be going for a walk.  Seeing Julie come back from a hard early morning run as I prepared for my non-strenuous walk just reminded me of how far I have to go and what little progress I am making.

The most recent hip/groin injury was sustained two and a half weeks ago and I was hoping it would be showing significant signs of improvement.  Now I'm thinking it is probably ligament damage and a minimum of three more weeks of recovery may be required before I can run smoothly and without pain.  It is the Labour of Sysiphus!

No comments:

Post a Comment