Monday, April 27, 2020

The App

A few weeks ago I wrote about the App the Australian government was planning to release which will assist in tracking down the contacts of an App-user who is diagnosed with COVID-19.

Overcast and drizzly for this morning's walk
The COVIDSafe App was released late yesterday, and I downloaded it this morning to become one of the one million plus users who have downloaded it in the first 24 hours, a much faster take-up rate than the government anticipated.  I believe I have a good understanding of how the App works - Bluetooth connection to nearby enabled smartphones, local storage of contact information, upload with user permission of contact details if diagnosed with COVID-19, prompted App deletion at pandemic end - and it all seems fine to me.  I had no reservations about downloading it and can understand that it will be a valuable aid in tracing potential COVID-19 carriers, and as such limit the chances of the virus spreading and increase the chances of social-distancing restrictions being eased earlier.

Looking south along the coast this morning
I have been saddened by the number of people declaring they will not download the App on private security grounds.  Many do not seem to understand how it works, or don't realise that much more personal information is stored by tech companies on an hourly basis via their smartphones already.  Others worry that it will be a tool for government and the police to track them, even though legislative curbs are in place.

Looking across The Haven to Terrigal this morning
I'm not so naive as to believe that the government and police will not sometimes exploit personal information, potentially illegally, to pursue their agendas, and I'm thankful there are privacy advocates keeping an eye on their behaviour.  However, when I think about how this App operates, and the benefits to society it might yield, I believe the scales are heavily weighted in favour of installing the App.  I also take comfort from the support for the App coming from technical security experts.  Finally, I have always felt that I have nothing to hide with respect to my movements, expenditures, etc., so in the unlikely event the App was misused I have nothing to fear.  I want things to return to normal as quickly as possible and this seems to support that agenda.

Returning to normal seems even further away so far as my running is concerned.  Although I only walked 5km this morning, my hip/groin was sore and uncomfortable.  I have since been researching Doctor Google and see that some of the symptoms match Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome, which gives me some hope that it can be repaired.  Apart from anti-inflammatories, which I am reluctant to take, treatment involves rest and stretching/strengthening of associated muscles.  I don't really want to stop running, having reached a certain level of fitness (3 out of 10, I reckon), so will just limit myself to short runs each day until it either improves, or gets worse to the point where I can't run.

No comments:

Post a Comment