Saturday, April 11, 2020

Boredom

Boredom is starting to set in.  Probably because I am running out of productive things to do at home.  I don't mind watching movies, but my Protestant upbringing won't let me do that all day.  And if I start reading books I just fall asleep.

Finishing my socially-distanced run in the Terrigal Beach carpark this morning
I have finished proof-reading the first three chapters of my daughter's PhD thesis which is almost ready for submission, and am contemplating reading them for a second time.  I might understand it better, and may have to look up fewer words in the dictionary this time.  The complexity of the analysis and subject matter -- using existential phenomenology to examine intersections of post-female embodiment and film form in contemporary science fiction cinema -- does make my brain hurt, but I'm pleased to be asked to read it through, and if all I pick up are a few typos, I'm fine with that.

The other project I have found, which is not going to occupy too much time, is planning for some shorter hikes in Australia on the assumption that travel restrictions get lifted in six months.  It will be too late to start out on our planned cycling circumnavigation of Australia by then, but there may be time for a hike taking a month or two.  The one in the frame at present, for which I did some initial planning back in 2014, is the Heysen Trail in South Australia.  The 1200 kilometre trail runs from the arid Flinders Ranges south to the coast and should take six to seven weeks.  We have all of the gear, and if I can have the planning done we will be ready to go at short notice.

Julie (r) and friend Lisa on their club socially-distanced run this morning
overlooking Woy Woy Bay from Spion Kop
After that, I'm thinking of offering to redo all of my running club's course maps to include risk assessments.  It will take a while, but it's been a task in the club's in-tray for some time and I have the time and skills to do it.

The club had a challenge today to be out training, appropriately social-distanced, in our club's uniform, and to run a standard race distance.  I chose to run the club's old Brooks Hill 10km time trial course, since abandoned for safety reasons (can't have racing runners transiting pedestrian crossings at speed or finishing in a crowded carpark).  It was a perfect morning for running, and I almost enjoyed some parts (which did not include the hills).

No comments:

Post a Comment