Saturday, March 28, 2020

Social distancing

We are all adjusting to "social distancing" and deciding what it means for each of us in terms of interacting with others and travelling away from home.

Julie and I have decided that it means avoiding close contact with anybody but immediate family and each other (although Julie is still working and thereby necessarily coming in contact with other workers).  We both have family members falling within "at risk" groups - Julie's parents, and my son who is receiving treatment for a serious illness - and want to do what we can to protect them.

The path near Flat Rock Creek, Willoughby.
Does this mean not being in close proximity with them?  It's a judgment call.  We have decided to continue seeing them but to take precautions when close.

In my son's case, I have been in the habit of making a weekly morning trip down to his apartment in Sydney's northern suburbs, where we go for a walk, watch a movie, and get lunch at the local Mexican restaurant.

I may go for a run in Terrigal before driving down if reasonably fit or, as is the case now, just do the walk with my son for training.

We walked 8km today, his longest walk for many months, on a meandering route through the leafy suburbs and parks near his home.  He was pleased to handle the distance, and I was pleased that my troublesome hip/groin wasn't so troublesome. It was followed by the movie "Enemy at the Gates" on HBO and home-delivered Mexican.


No comments:

Post a Comment