Saturday, March 28, 2020

"Business" impacts

Like most small businesses, my running club, Terrigal Trotters, is trying to remain a viable operating entity during the COVID-19 crisis.

Terrigal Lagoon this morning
 Apart from providing a venue for physical fitness, the social side of the club and the mutual support its members provide each other, is very important.  When we cannot meet for the formal and informal runs that happen almost every day of the week, often followed by a coffee or cafe breakfast, there is a risk that both physical and mental health will suffer.  Social media helps, and there are plans for individual challenges that will keep members connected and engaged, but I suspect these will lose their impetus as the months pass.

Social Distancing?  Terrigal promenade this morning
Secondly, there are the financial implications of cancelling two major events that generate most of the club's annual net income, and of suspending our Saturday morning runs (often attended by more than 150) where most members pay their $2 per week fees.

I participate in my club's various training runs when I am able and it fits my plans, but the majority of my training, throughout my life, has been on my own.  COVID-19 social distancing requirements won't be a problem for me.  And, I can still run with my partner, Julie, if it suits, though I'm so unfit and lame at present, I could not keep up with her anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment