Sunday, June 7, 2020

Making the most of our opportunities

Brisbane Water National Park this morning
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted organised sport around the world.  However, in New South Wales (NSW), restrictions have now eased sufficiently to allow some modest informal competition.

I spent much of today supporting Julie as she ran a 100 kilometre loop on trails and roads on the NSW Central Coast.  It was part of a Terrigal Trotters team challenge and Julie, along with her brother, formed one of the five teams.  They finished third in the creditable time of 15:52.

Julie in Brisbane Water National Park
Julie has had an excellent last 12 months of running,, recording personal best times over all distances, as well as podium finishes in two 100 mile trail races and 5th female outright in the 350 kilometre Delerious trail race in Western Australia.

Like many other people in the running club, Julie came to distance running late.  She has discovered that she is very good at it, especially when gender and age is considered.  When I see her performances, I wonder what she might have done in her 20s and 30s if she had been a runner and as dedicated as she is now.  I think the same when I see other top masters athletes, and wonder whether they regret not starting earlier.

Julie and Troy at the 75km mark
The reality is, however, that there are very few runners who were good in the 20s and 30s who remain good in their older years, and vice versa.  It seems as though we have a certain number of miles in our legs (or beats in our hearts, as one of my brothers likes to remind me), and we can choose to use them earlier or later in our lives, but not both.  It’s a simplistic view, but anecdotally supported.

I’m envious of Julie being able to train and run as she does, but would never begrudge her that success.  I know how hard she trains and what mental strength she employs, and I delight in her achievements.  She is making the most of those miles she still has in her legs.  I think I used up my quota 40 years ago.

Still quite sore in the hip flexor, I just walked 4km today, into and out of one of the resupply points for Julie.  The hip has improved a little, but I don't think I'll be running again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment