Friday, May 1, 2020

Flu vaccination

Golf this morning
The local medical centre called this morning to say my free (for over 65's) flu vaccination was ready and I went in this afternoon to get it.  Coincidentally, it is the first wintry day we have had this autumn, so not a moment too soon.  However, with my limited social contacts, my chances of catching the flu are much diminished as has been shown by recent government information about the prevalence of flu so far this season.

Getting the shot was an experience.  The medical centre had set up a tent in their carpark for flu vaccinations, which would have been fine on a mild day, but it was cold and blustery this afternoon.  The tent was flapping in the wind, threatening to leave the scene, the nurses were dressed for an arctic expedition, and waiting patients were trying to keep warm on their plastic chairs spaced the required 1.5 metres apart.  Mercifully, the whole process only took about fifteen minutes.

Golf this morning
I have had the flu shot for the last five or more years, as I have no desire to get the flu, but this year I feel there is a greater imperative.  As with the government's COVIDSafe smartphone app, I believe that the more people who get their flu shots, the more the spread of COVID-19 will be constrained, and that is a good thing for everybody.

Golf this morning
My daughter, who had the flu shot a week ago, tells me that she got a very sore arm and felt unwell for a few days after the vaccination, so I'm preparing myself for that and won't push myself running this weekend.  A few years ago, I had the flu shot and a pneumonia shot on a Friday, ran hard on the Saturday morning, and had a couple of episodes of atrial fibrillation, so I think I have learned my lesson.

I got up early this morning to run 6km before an early nine holes of golf with friends.  The hip problems were still there, but my pace was OK and I enjoyed the coolness brought by the wintry weather change.  It was clear and cold for the golf, but it didn't help my game which was abysmal.

No comments:

Post a Comment